Saturday 29 June 2013

Carol's Jigsaw Piece!

Good Morning Splodgers,

It's all go this week in the world of SplodgeAway....

Tomorrow SplodgeAway will be at the Ross Papercraft Show at:

Rainton Meadows Arena, Mercantile Road, Houghton Le Spring, Tyne & Wear, DH4 5PH (10am-3pm)


Monday SplodgeAway moves into their own new unit and I get my shop back...woohoo
and
Tuesday Tom and Hazel return to our screens on Create and Craft at 2pm and 6pm.

Today Carol is showcasing her 'piece' of alterered work using a SplodgeAway Mask. I must say I am impressed! What a great idea, everytime I look at this something else catches my eye.




Here is a piece I made using the SplodgeAway JigSaw Pieces mask. Yes it is an altered jigsaw piece. I loved playing with this to create the backgrounds etc and it really lends itself to so many uses. Love too, how all the pieces will link with each other in different ways. Here I have used it for background, dress pattern and also to highlight areas.

I began by peeling off the picture from this jumbo sized JigSaw piece and coating it with several layers of Fresco Finish paints, in shades of green and yellow. The mask was then used with aged Mahogany Distress inks to create the background. On top of this I adhered an old paper pattern piece. As I wanted everything too look somewhat aged I went over again with a wash of white to tone down the navy blue writing of the pattern sheet. The stamp used is from B-Line, which I coloured in Prisma colour pencils, again adding a wash for an aged look.
I re-stamped the image and used the mask as a stencil to draw three other jig-saw pieces. These I did not colour, but left looking sepia. ( I do hope this shows in the picture). I triple embossed these three pieces and attached them over the coloured image, matching up as I needed.
I cut a dress-form from a stencil and used the same colours and the mask to make the pattern on this. All that was left to do was to add the embellishments....some lace, stamped cotton reels and cotton, buttons and pins. A small jig saw piece dangle was the last addition with a tiny thimble.
Hope you like it and will have a go at something similar,
Carol xx






Thank you Carol for a lovely project for the 'Anything but a Card' week. If you would like to see more amazing work from Carol please check out her blog.

Enjoy your weekend,
Susan  
xx

12 comments:

  1. Love ur project Carol- its so unusual! The vintage themes right up my street n all ur elements come together beautifully- fab x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic Carol, love the little dangly jig piece you've attached, so cute, the stamps are gorgeous, very impressive piece, I altered a jig piece for Christmas last year for the very first time, I was pleased with it at the time, but looking at this has made me think?? Lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe, glad you like it they are fun to do aren't they!! xx

      Delete
  3. Wow this is fantastic! What a cool and inspiring idea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment. Glad you thought it was inspiring, such fun making it and all from the charity shop children's section!! LOL x

      Delete
  4. Carol this is amazing!
    Such an unusual design and beautifully done.
    One to be used as inspiration I think xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment glad you enjoyed seeing it xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cool Carol, I love the vintage theme, you have made a terrific job of this wonderful creation. Just goes to show how versatile SplodgeAway masks are!!!

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work carol, I love what you have done with this piece, î need to go rummage out some of my kids old jigsaws I think. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful project Carol, such a clever idea and so pretty
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great carol... So different x love it

    ReplyDelete